Why we are needed
There are a number of compelling factors that evidence the need for Durham Gateway, and these can be summarised as follows:
1. There is limited capacity available amongst existing providers in County Durham and neighbouring local authorities for young people at Key Stage 4 who are at risk of exclusion.
2. Close partnership working with schools and local authorities whilst developing the Durham Gateway has confirmed that there is a high demand for commissioned places.
3. Existing providers of alternative provision in the area have limited facilities for vocational learning across the broad range of industries offering apprenticeships and employment opportunities.
4. Each year within County Durham, substantial numbers of 16-18 year olds are ‘not in education, employment or training’ (NEET), and securing sustainable post-16 destinations will be a key aim of Durham Gateway.
5. The unique curriculum offer, combining core academic subjects with vocational learning and a clear ‘line of sight' to employment, means that life chances will be vastly improved for those young people who would not flourish in mainstream secondary education.